Most foreign countries either participate via the Hague Service Convention, Inter-American Convention or Letters Rogatory in order to obtain a formal method of process service from legal actions initiated inside the United States. This means that a request from a court in the United States to a court in a foreign country is requesting international judicial assistance related to service of process. These treatys governs this method of service. If you anticipate attaching assets in ANY foreign country upon being granted judgment in your case, you should strongly consider this procedure. The use of this method is NOT recommended by the U.S. State Department, unless attachment of assets will be necessary after obtaining a Judgment, or as a strict requirement by the country in which service is being contemplated, given the habitual time delays. Treaty service can often take 4-20 months or more to effect. Currently some countries have a typical turnaround time of approximately 5-7 months.
Service through any of these methods usually requires 7 pages of treaty documents. All documents to be served, including the 7 pages of treaty documents, must be translated into the native language of the accepting country.
In order to prepare the necessary documents and facilitate the service, we require the following:
- Three (3) complete and legible sets of the documents to be served;
- Name of the judge (in originating jurisdiction) who will be signing the request;
- Name, address and telephone number of the court (your court);
- Name, address and phone number (if known) of the entity being served;
- Name, address and phone number of the plaintiff for who service is being requested;
- Process Fee (which varies from country-to-country) plus U.S. Embassy Fee ($2275.00). Advance fees are due in advance prior to accepting the assignment.
- Translation of all documents. If we are to provide the mandatory translation, we will bill you for the translation fee at the rate of $.65 per word. However, translation fees are payable prior to commencement of service.
Advantage: In effect, creates a case in the country where the documents are served and makes judgment enforceable.
Disadvantage: Serious time delays and costs. Treaty service can often take 4-10 months or more to effect.
What we will need to get it served:
International Service of Process in Foreign Countries
- If sending via email: a PDF version of the service documents combined into one (1) file. We will bill you for the additional copies at the rate of $.20 per page.
- If sending via FedEx, mail, or similar: three (3) copies of the documents to be served.
(Note: all 3 sets can be copies; original documents are not required)
- A letter of instructions advising us the defendant’s name, service address, and requested method of service (i.e. formal or informal).
- Payment for the entire service fees in U.S. dollars in the amount quoted at the time of your request.
- We will bill you separate for the translation costs, prior to initiating service.
DECLARATION OF SERVICE: We provide formal declarations on the status of service upon request, as required by your court, at no additional charge. We subscribe to the U.S. Department of State weekly up-dates on international service of process and the Central Intelligence Agency briefings on social conditions abroad and monitor problems in nations that might affect the completion of the service. Estimated time for completion of service is subject to change depending on current conditions.
Rates vary from country-to-country, dependent upon many factors, and change based upon the area and foreign conditions of that area at the time service is requested. It is impossible to list all pricing for all areas in one website, so we suggest that you contact our office at the time your need this service for us to be able to provide the best quote possible at that time.
Many of our competitors believe in charging a higher rate for such services to out-of-area clients, which we believe should be considered a deceptive practice.
RCI values ALL of its clients, regardless of their location, and as such charges the exact same rate that we would charge to a local volume client.
Please call (410) 693-8992 or e-mail us if your needs are out of the
ordinary and/or if you have any questions
OFFICE HOURS: MONDAY – FRIDAY from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
Corporate Tax #81-3181679
All pricing throughout this website is subject to change without notice
Pricing is based for clients regardless of location